Friday, December 8, 2006

Three in One - New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma











Texas, Texas, Texas... The Governor of Texas in the 1920's - Ma Ferguson once said " If the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!


From what I can tell, very little has changed since then. Texas, or at least the very small part of it that I got to see was filled with what I would expect from people who make statements like that. We drove into Texas on the I-40 from New Mexico heading to Amarillo. Our introduction was interesting to say the least... to say that the road signage is single minded is an understatement... I took from the first hour of road stimulus, that life for Texans consists of Steak and God. We went past signage boasting 72 ounce steaks at restaurants just a few miles ahead from the highest quality cows in the country. That would be followed by signs apparently endorsed by God... quoting scripture. We went past lots of farms, saw lots of cows... and I have to say, if Thousands of starving Cows huddling together in 30 degree temperatures in muddy fields without a single blade of grass to be seen defines "High Quality" then yes, absolutely... these Cows are top of the range so to speak. When we got to Amarillo where the stench was terrific... the town quite literally smells like shit. Of course the farmers probably sell the pollution to local politicians as healthy country air, but for a city boy... the stench was all I needed to make the decision to keep on driving the additional 200 plus miles to Oklahoma City. On our way out of Texas we saw more farms, more cow's, Church after Church after Church and the "Largest Cross in the Northern Hemisphere" the Church where it stood promised "a spiritual experience you will never forget." Needless to say, I couldn't get out of Texas quick enough. The picture above is perhaps the best part of my day... it shows my rear view mirror having crossed into Oklahoma, it was great to get Texas behind me.

Annmarie has asked me to add the disclaimer that the road that we traveled only represents a very small portion of the State of Texas, which is huge ! So I'm sure the rest of it is probably super.... almost seems a shame I'll never get to see it first hand - a conscious choice I have already made. It would take me quite a few words or sentences to describe who "Warrick" is... but if I was to describe who I am not... "Texas" would just about cover it.


Oklahoma on the other hand seems okay so far. The geography is definitely different from what we have seen in the previous three states. I have to say I have been quite surprised at how each state seems to be so unique in terms of its geography. Arizona reminded me of the sandy savanna in the Kruger National Park... of course allowances need to be made for the addition of Pine Trees or Joshua Trees or Cacti. Then New Mexico had a sort of Golden Gate appeal in the Free State. Lots of amazing rock formations and huge Boulders. Texas was flat, yellow oceans of grass and openness that really I can't equate to any where else. Now in Oklahoma, there is shape to the land, the flatness has given way to soft hills and we have driven over quite a few rivers and streams. there seems also to be plenty of wooded areas but I still get that Prairie feeling... a little like I'm watching Laura Ingles on Little House on the Prairie all those years ago.


Tomorrow is so far undecided... it may be nice to stay for the day here in Oklahoma City, I think after the long drive today we deserve a little rest. Bill Bryson has been keeping us company with his new book "THE LIFE & TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID" Its pretty good... Bryson is always good mind you... I just wish he would stick to writing and skip recording his books himself, he can tend to become a little monotone, lucky his humor keeps your attention or there would be some pretty sleepy drivers behind the wheel.

1 comment:

jjdownunder said...

I hope Oklahoma is a lot better than Texas, well the part you saw, must say it doesmt look very inviting, apparently Houston is great. Good luck.