Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Natures Grand Wake Up Call




277 Miles long, 300 feet wide, 100 feet deep and solely responsible (well almost) for creating what I can only hint at as the most amazing hole in the ground (as Annmarie most eloquently put it this morning) in the world. The Colorado river has created for anyone who has seen the Grand Canyon a spectacle truly worthy of the hype… but for anyone who has not seen natures symphony at play all I can say with authority is that no words, no photographs, no video, painting or prose can being to capture the wonder of this place.
Of course I was excited to get going this morning, but not even I could have guessed just how much ahead of my mind my body was. I woke up at 7:15 AM, that’s 6:15AM Vegas time, and couldn't’t for the life of me fall back to sleep. So… a coffee and oatmeal breakfast later in 18 degree F temperatures it was off to the rim. As I mentioned before, there is just no way to capture the beauty of the Grand Canyon in words, and if I use this post shouting from the roof tops how magnificent it is, it’ll just be lost in translation. I will say this however… if there has ever been a fleeting thought in your mind to visit the Grand Canyon… do it, it won’t disappoint !
Tomorrow we leave early, our destination is the town of Holbrook. Along the way we hope to see Wupatki National Monument, the Painted Desert Vista, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument , Meteor Crater and the town of Winslow Arizona. There is a song by the Eagles called “Take it easy’, in the lyrics is a line that says - “I’m standing on the corner of Winslow Arizona, it’s a mighty fine sight to see” I’m not sure what to expect, but some time tomorrow I’ll know what defines “a fine sight see”. In addition Meteor Crater is supposed to be the largest and best preserved example (of a meteor crater) in the world.
The dogs have been very well so far, Poosie loved all the walking today and Sweetie has enjoyed the views from her bed in the car.

1 comment:

jjdownunder said...

Hi Guys

It was good to see that you have started. Good luck and have a great trip.

D