Saturday, May 19, 2007

Rotten to the Core ?

I recently read an article on a South African site which asked the question if South African's were rotten to the core... I couldn't help putting in my 5 cents... I just think that I left South Africa for the same reasons that most ex-pats who now inhabit all corners of the world left the country. Like them I occasionally look into the window that international and domestic news crews paint about the New South Africa, and each time I do, my Holiday in South Africa gets pushed back further and further in favor of Europe, Australia or the States... Anywhere in fact other than "Death Wish South Africa" . Its ironic then that when I'm asked by my neighbours and friends to describe the place of my birth I answer the same way every time. "South Africa is geographically the most perfect place on the planet" . "Its a real shame though that socially and politically its a disaster".
I then think about the potential for the country, the fact that it has the potential to employ 20% of its workforce in tourism like the other top destinations in the world and feel so sad that two of S.A.'s biggest issues - Crime and Unemployment are so closely tied together. I have traveled all over the world and now I live in Las Vegas, USA. I firmly believe that as a destination, South Africa has more to offer than any other destination that I know... but I'm also a betting man, and if there was a wager about South Africa's future. I would gladly place every cent that I own comfortable in the knowledge that while the current Government is in power, South Africa will continue to flounder and fall. Just like a mentally retarded giant, South Africa's potential to be a mecca of tourism will be smashed by its brain dead leadership.
I don't believe that south Africa is rotten to the core, it has the makings of something wonderful, you just have to rid yourselves of bad leadership and the greatness will follow.

No comments: